Friday, June 15, 2012

A good time to be gay!

I was reading a few articles on homosexuality tonight and it hit me: we have access to so many informations with the internet.  I was reading stuff on what would Jesus do if he met gays today, how good gay parents are, how homophobes are probably hiding some homosexual desires....  We're exposed to so many vues, ideas, reflections, facts about homosexuality.  In consequence, it makes it easier for gays to get to know themselves and the world they live in. 

A few decades ago, I don't really imagine how hard it was for a young guy to discover that he was gay.  Many of those young gay guys probably thought they were alone, an abnormality of nature.  Now, we are so exposed to the gay thing that it should at least make it less difficult for a guy to understand his difference.

Another positive aspect is that the people around us also have more knowledge and hopefully comprehension towards homosexuality.  So that also makes it less difficult for a gay guy to talk about his homosexuality .  Here in Canada and in many other countries, it's much less frightening to come out than in a country where homosexuality is punished. 

I feel so lucky to live in this time (and space).  Of course, many have battled before me and I admit that I don't know a lot about the "gay revolutions" of the past.  But for sure, they have helped shape a world where homosexuality is more and more accepted.  I hope that it won't be too long to be gay and safe in every country of the world.

Of course, there are still a lot of prejudices about homosexuality, but I'll try my best to do my part to destroy them.  An example that I have seen is that even though many people are OK with gays, they still try to show that they are not gay.  It's like: " I have no problem with my gay friends, but I AM NOT gay."  As if they would burn if they, themselves, were gay or did something supposedly gay (and of course disgusting).  Some kind of "not-in-my-yard" syndrome.  So, when I'll be completely out, that's definitely something I'll try to sensitize people about.

I feel very optimistic tonight so I tought I would share.  I really think we're living in a good time to be gay.

PS.  I centered this post on the gay guy experience, but of course I don't want to exclude lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders...  It was just easier for me to focus on something related to my own experiences.



No comments:

Post a Comment